Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Welcome  Affiliates  Shop  Latest images  Register  Log in  

Thompson eyeing 2012 return

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jamesy
Moderators
Moderators
jamesy

Male Number of posts : 2769
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Thompson eyeing 2012 return Empty
PostSubject: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Former double champion James Thompson has said a return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship is at the top of his 2012 wish list.

Thompson says only a full-time drive in the British or World touring car championships are of interest to him – he made his first appearance in the BTCC since 2009 in this year’s season finale at Silverstone driving a Ford Focus for Airwaves Racing.

The Leeds ace told the Yorkshire Evening Post: “It will either be the British championship or the World – it won’t be anything else.

“The one thing that I haven’t achieved is the World Championship – I’ve finished third but I haven’t won it. If there was a possibility of getting a car that gave me the chance to win the World Championship then, obviously, I would be very interested in that.

“But outside of that I don’t just want to be in it for the sake of it and I would prefer to race in the British Championship if faced with that. Basically, I have narrowed my options down and it’s just a matter of coming up with the right package.”

Thompson, who won the BTCC in 2002 and 2004, was also full of praise for the BTCC following his outing last month at Silverstone – there, a record 30 cars appeared on the grid with the championship’s new turbocharged Next Generation Touring Car regulations drawing interest from both current and many more potentially new teams.

He added: “The BTCC now looks very, very strong and there are a few teams that are interested in me for next year. One of them said ‘well, why don’t you come and drive the car in the last round of the season?’ I was going to go and watch the race anyway so it’s nice that someone could put a car on for me and let me enjoy the weekend.

“It was really good – there was a great atmosphere and, while we didn’t have the best weekend because of a few mechanical problems, it was very enjoyable and just nice to see how the championship is blossoming. It’s very promising at the minute.

“I’ve been lucky to have raced all over the place but I think having done that it’s nice to be in the UK and it’s amazing the support we have fan-wise and things. A lot of people seem to want me back and it’s nice – it’s always nice to feel like you are wanted.”
Thompson eyeing 2012 return 2008_08170014
Back to top Go down
Adam86
Treasurer
Treasurer
Adam86

Male Number of posts : 3248
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Can remember him racing back in the 90's lol
Back to top Go down
Masher
Track God
Track God
Masher

Male Number of posts : 2232
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:14 am

He needs to get himself in at Chevrolet or Honda. He's not going to get anywhere at Airwaves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetrackdayclub.com/
jamesy
Moderators
Moderators
jamesy

Male Number of posts : 2769
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 am

Honda going to WTCC next year arnt they?
Back to top Go down
Masher
Track God
Track God
Masher

Male Number of posts : 2232
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:06 am

I believe Team Dynamics are planning the Honda return in 2013.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetrackdayclub.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thompson eyeing 2012 return   Thompson eyeing 2012 return Empty

Back to top Go down

Thompson eyeing 2012 return
Page 1 of 1