Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Welcome  Affiliates  Shop  Latest images  Register  Log in  

New to the site, Another Pug owner!

Go down 
+8
Ryangti6
RuanE
CtiStu
nellers2001
Steph
Norledge
Chris_429
Mark.evs
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark.evs
Beginner
Beginner
Mark.evs

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-01-13

New to the site, Another Pug owner! Empty
PostSubject: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 am

Hi all, I'm Mark and was invited over from the GTi6 forum by Jamsey. I notice a few other users on here from other sites too.

I live about 5 miles from Llandow track and i'm usually there having breakfast on the weekends, always seeing what was out on track too, i decided i wanted to get out there myself so I bought a bit of a wreck of a 306 to make into a cheap track car, 90% went in the bin, and i still keep buying new bits for it.

This is how i got it,

New to the site, Another Pug owner! Snowday004

New to the site, Another Pug owner! Snowday001

New to the site, Another Pug owner! Snowday005

And this is a bit like it is now,

New to the site, Another Pug owner! DSCF0321

New to the site, Another Pug owner! DSCF0447

New to the site, Another Pug owner! DSCF0253

I've done 1 track day in it and it was a bit of an eye opener for me. I've had 306 D-turbos for years and never had the back end step out on one, I like 306's and thought a 6 would be a good track car, It's the same as the derv but faster right? Nope, I was wrong, Its a totally different animal! The first outing at Llandow started very wet and the first lap was spent holding everyone up and then getting overtaken by everyone. I was all over the place, The back end was stepping out going into and around the corners and then couldn't get power down coming out of them, just kept lighting the front wheels. I spent a lot of time fighting the car and trying to tame it. During the day i did get better and after fitting some better tyres to the back and the track starting to dry out, i started to get along with the car and got into the grove a bit. I managed to pass a 1.4 corsa but that was about as good as i got. The car has a lot of potential but I need a alot more practice with it.

Hope to see u on the track some time.
Back to top Go down
Chris_429
Moderators
Moderators
Chris_429

Male Number of posts : 2059
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Norledge
Admin
Admin
Norledge

Male Number of posts : 7510
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 am

Welcome over mate!

Car looks a LOT better now Razz

It's surprising how much you learn about a car, and you're own driving ability on track isn't it!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.built4track.co.uk
Steph
Can Handle Lift-Off
Can Handle Lift-Off
Steph

Female Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 am

Welcome Mark Smile
Back to top Go down
nellers2001
Moderators
Moderators
nellers2001

Male Number of posts : 1654
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Welcome!!
Back to top Go down
CtiStu
Beginner
Beginner

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Welcome, Im also new to the forum New to the site, Another Pug owner! 734853
Back to top Go down
RuanE
Learner
Learner

Male Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Glad to see this has been sorted, I seem to remember seeing this car as a project on the usual 306 forums I'm on...

Weird about the handling though, GTi6s are *usually* pretty darned stable unless you provoke them, the back end will break loose but it's usually nice and predictable and controllable, it's not 205 GTi levels of snap oversteer... I'd start looking into possibly the rear beam bushes or even the wishbone bushes...
Back to top Go down
Mark.evs
Beginner
Beginner
Mark.evs

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-01-13

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 12:55 am

RuanE wrote:
Glad to see this has been sorted, I seem to remember seeing this car as a project on the usual 306 forums I'm on...

Weird about the handling though, GTi6s are *usually* pretty darned stable unless you provoke them, the back end will break loose but it's usually nice and predictable and controllable, it's not 205 GTi levels of snap oversteer... I'd start looking into possibly the rear beam bushes or even the wishbone bushes...

All the suspension is new, most of it uprated too, I think The problem was me and lack of experience on the track. It'll be a great car when i learn to drive it properly.
Back to top Go down
Ryangti6
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Ryangti6

Male Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2011-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Welcome mate car looks alot better now. My 306 used to step out alot when it was really low on the rear & had 17s but now with cyclones its seems to handle suprisingly well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gunge
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Gunge

Male Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 am

Welcome across Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.swfco.net
Masher
Track God
Track God
Masher

Male Number of posts : 2232
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:41 am

Welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetrackdayclub.com/
Pebbles167
Experienced
Experienced
Pebbles167

Male Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 am

Welcome over mate Smile on track its probably best to try push it a little bit more (without being dangerous) and your will be surprised at how good you are, think of karting! As said the 6 has a pretty decent level of handling so should look after you if things get sticky!
Back to top Go down
jamesy
Moderators
Moderators
jamesy

Male Number of posts : 2769
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 6:09 am

Welcome mate how's things?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the site, Another Pug owner!   New to the site, Another Pug owner! Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the site, Another Pug owner!
Page 1 of 1