Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Welcome  Affiliates  Shop  Latest images  Register  Log in  

Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ape
Experienced
Experienced

Male Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) Empty
PostSubject: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 pm

Name: Project Track Slug
Car : Peugeot 206 1.4 16v Sport. Registered July 2005.

The Pug was originally a replacement for my Fiesta Zetec that I well and truly knackered through lack of maintainence and car know-how. The option was either a new engine, or repair the existing one, both with a tag of around the £2500 mark. As I was doing about 200 miles a week at the time I needed a car and needed a warranty with it. I needed reliability too (so why go french! Laughing )

After looking on the internet I needed something for around £10,000 which was brand new, lots of gadgets (what I thought was important at the time) and creature comforts, reasonable engine, and available quickly as my fiesta engine was going to implode iminently. The 206 ticked most of the boxes, so I paid for the one in the showroom, had a spoiler and some SP bits added, and picked it up a week later. The fiesta just about lasted and off it went to auction, giving a small reduction on the Pug.

I swore that I wasn't going to modify the 206, the Fiesta had undergone a few cheap mods, backbox, wheels etc. The 206 had warranty and was brand new. After about 10 months I'd finished choosing the alloys, got a suspension kit and got them fitted together (well, within a week of each other). Got myself some tools and the bug had bitten. I knew nothing of cars so thought it was a good time to learn.
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) FrontNearside

Soon after buying, Carla bought me the complete rear light setup:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 33460001

The suspension arrived and was fitted:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) CIMG0260
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 10062006007
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 10062006005
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 10062006002
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) CIMG0274

Shortly after, a Peco Backbox
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 33460076

And this waste of time:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) CIMG0810
A PiperX induction kit, nice and power sapping lol.

That was it for it a while, a few minor touches followed, interior item tarting and that sort of thing:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 33460177

Sub, Amp and that jazz also installed.

Then........
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00051

Cut a long story short, brake malfunction = loss of abs and ebfd = spin + kerb = damage + birth of the performance project (hows that for an equation lol)
The damage meant that I needed to replace the Rear Axle. Rather than replace like for like, I sourced an axle from a dead Gti180, cleaned it up and bolted it up:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00051

Removed old Axle and fitted new:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00075k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00074k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00071k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00070k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00069k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00085
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00083
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00065
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00075j

Sourced some brakes from a Gti180 so cleaned them up and fitted them:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00081k
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00089
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00088
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00078
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC000691

Then the Pug went into the bodyshop for some work and some SP arches were also added:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00136-1
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00135
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00117d6
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00117d
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00103
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00102
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00064s
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00063s
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00082-2
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00085-1
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00086-1

The wheels had come back after their refurb and were wrapped in new Parada Spec2 Tyres:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00091
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00092

I also got hold of a 4-2-1 Manifold from a good friend as well, so fitted that too:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00077k

From there I went and had a Powerflow Full system inc Sports Cat fitted:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00186
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00184
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00183
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00187

A quick cosmetic addition thrown in between stages:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00220

Then started a bit of weight loss:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00244

And a bit of weight gain, but with the comprimise of better comfort / stability of the occupants when cornering and the ability to put some harnesses in properly too.
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00624
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00607
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00606
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00605
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00604
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00603
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00602
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC00601

The PiperX was changed for a BMC DIA Enclosed Filter, although the gains weren't noticable. I also had a duff remap put on by Angel Tuning, which was sorted out later by Red Dot Racing
Back to top Go down
Ape
Experienced
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 pm

Angel Tuning....

I attended a remap meet, where a few of us were having it done. I was a bit dubious but the price was right so I thought why not? I'd just had the full exhaust done by Powerflow and then went straight to the meet. From what I knew remaps needed rollers and some time. Rather than a quick 15 minute download. So.... A few guys were having theirs done and seemed happy enough.

It came to my car, and they took the standard map off, and downloaded their "remap". this took 30 minutes or so. Followed by a non starting car, no turning over, no burping, clicking, nothing. It took them 3 hours to get the standard map on, at one point they asked if I had RAC or AA cover, to which I replied "yes thanks, but what are you going to use to tow it to a garage if it doesn't work". Anyway, the standard map eventually took and it fired up, albeit a bit rough for a while. They offered to come to my house and try again, as their map needed sending to a bloke in Germany to do some tweaks (no poopoo!). So they did, a week later they turned up in their little van and "remapped" the car. They asked me to take it for a spin, and when I came back telling them there was no difference their response was "it will need a few hundred miles to sort itself out". Yeah right Rolling Eyes , anyway a few hundred miles came and went and nothing. Don't get me wrong, its a 1.4 16v and I wasn't expecting it to set the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination. I had also bought an enclosed BMC filter from them to try out, but that turned out to be pap also.

I then got involved with GSR and Red Dot Racing as they held a Rolling Road meet. I wanted to see what the outcome of the remap was so attended. Got speaking to the guys down there and when "Angel Tuning" was mentioned, they began laughing. Now, I thought the usual - that different tuners have different ways and will ridicule other tuners methods. It wasn't until they got it on the Rolling Road and we could see the Air/Fuel Ratio. Basically running that lean that the ECU was retarding all ignition to prevent the engine from cooking itself as there just wasn't enough fuel to burn, and it was losing power over the standard setup. It turns out that Angel Tuning bought a load of kit from Red Dot Racing, and decided they knew all there is to know about remapping modern cars, and make their money by doing "we come to you tuning". Which is quite frankly shite. A friend with a Fiesta 1.4 (Mk5) also had a map and I believe is losing power. Funnily enough Angel Tuning have nothing to say, and their gains chart on their website is comical.

Red Dot wouldn't let me leave their garage with the car in such a dangerous / unhealthy state, so remapped it for free for me. A fantastic gesture considering they'd do a run on the rollers, tweak the map, back on the rollers etc, plenty of advice and a good chat with them and GSR later I find myself measuring the engine bay up for a prototype induction kit.

When that was manufactured I went back to Red Dot and had another rolling road session. The induction kit improved torque considerably (for an induction kit) and overall power, however because of the extra air going in, and the mixture richened, it still needed more fuel, so I put larger injectors in and went back to Red Dot, who sorted another remap for me now that the extra fuel was pumping through, and its just carried on from there. I trust their work, as they actually care about their reputation and customers, rather than just try to make fast cash. Coupled with GSR's knowledge we've made quite a formiddable team and from there we've decided to turn my lowly 1360cc trolley into a fun track car, not particularly fast, but fun. Which is what its all about Very Happy

I had a day at Castle Coombe and met GSR and the plans exploded from there Very Happy :
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 259
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 244-vi
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 220-vi
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 273-vi
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 272-vi
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 271-vi

After sliding around the track in what turned out to be the most fun I'd had in the Pug for a while we set about tuning the Engine. GSR produced a Prototype Induction Kit for testing on the relatively new type of Pug 206 Engine (also in the C4's, 1007's and 207's etc):
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01138
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01135
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01124
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01120
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01119
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01118
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01117
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01116

Which followed with Bigger Injectors:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01427
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01428
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01360
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01357
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01354
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01353
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01352
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01351

and then a trip to Red Dot Racing for a Remap and runs on the Rollers:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) Th_MOV01171
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01183
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01159

From there the car was running about 110 bhp with similar torque levels, this was later increased with a bit more mapping to about 114bhp or so with around the same torque levels. Not bad from the 88bhp and 99lb ft standard.

Another quick cosmetic change before more work in the form of some HID's and Caliper painting:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01755
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01638

Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01638
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01900
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC01900

I bought another 1.4 16v engine complete with box as spares ready for the development, and a 1.6 16v head for future use after uprating. This was stripped down for inspection / testing and whatever else it was needed for:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v13
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v15
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v20
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v32
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v40
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v41
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v42
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v61
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v63
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) 1416v76

The cams were extracted and sent away for reprofiling, at the time the only cams available were standard ones, or competition ones which removed the variable valve timing and required extensive work to the head, standalone management etc. Suited to race teams rather than a fast road set up. When the cams returned we made some shims to fit in the lifter bores to aid the cams:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02646
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02647
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02689
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02692
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02693
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02694
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02698
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02705
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC02706

I then fitted them to the car, along with a new cam belt and few other bits, after getting it all timed up, it was apparent the the timing needed a bit of tweaking to get it running properly:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03026
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03027
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03028
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03029
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03030
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03031
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03032
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03033
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03034
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03035
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03036

After various attempts at getting it running smoothly, we really needed vernier pulleys to finish the timing. The previous set of photos shows me squashing a hydraulic lifter in a clamp. I should have done this previously, as I didn't a slight problem occured. After some problems trying to get a shim into the lifter bore, I ended up drilling it out and fitting another one, this had weakened the bore walls and the lifter decided to shatter its bore walls:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03038
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03039
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03040

This has left us with a few options. currently the engine is sat like so:
Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) DSC03041
wrapped up to prevent the elements from getting at it.

The plan is to fit the spare 1.4 16v head in the meantime so that the Pug is running for Castle Coombe at the end of April, and then get the 1.6 16v head finished (its having some serious work done to it first) and fitted to the 1.4 16v block.
The additional plans are a rollcage, alloy wheel colour change and a few other bits Very Happy

Cheers for reading, bit of a long one, I've had it for over 3.5 years now and have learnt so much from working on it and want to continue on with it and continue the prototype development etc with GSR and Red Dot Very Happy
So.... I've waffled on enough now Laughing But basically you've got to be careful and ensure you get a tuner rather than a tuna working on your car!
Back to top Go down
Norledge
Admin
Admin
Norledge

Male Number of posts : 7510
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Good thread mate... Got to say though... Avoid puddles with the air filter there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.built4track.co.uk
Ape
Experienced
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 pm

Yep, although it will put up with minor fording. We've done a fair bit of testing on it. Common sense prevails is most cases though. If its too deep - find another way or disconnect it at the throttle body etc.
Back to top Go down
Masher
Track God
Track God
Masher

Male Number of posts : 2232
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 am

Good read, any updates?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetrackdayclub.com/
Ape
Experienced
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 am

Aye, I rebuilt the Engine and took it around Coombe the next day, then sold it Laughing
Back to top Go down
woz_106
Moderators
Moderators
woz_106

Male Number of posts : 5169
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:09 am

ape, are PP having a stand at Spring Action day or you fancy inviting a few onto our stand...more the merrier!
Back to top Go down
Masher
Track God
Track God
Masher

Male Number of posts : 2232
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 5:47 am

Whats replaced it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetrackdayclub.com/
Norledge
Admin
Admin
Norledge

Male Number of posts : 7510
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 am

Leon cupra iirc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.built4track.co.uk
Ape
Experienced
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 am

Aye, A LCR 225, there's a project thread on here. I'll start a new one as there are quite a few updates now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)   Apes Timeline (It's a big Read) Empty

Back to top Go down

Apes Timeline (It's a big Read)
Page 1 of 1